The Castaneda Firm has extensive experience in oil and gas litigation. We represent operators, working interests and other stakeholders in cases involving all phases of upstream production. In 2016, the Firm won a $146 million verdict for Mesa Petroleum Partners and T. Boone Pickens relating to an investment in an area of mutual interest in the Permian ($142 million in damages, $4 million in attorney’s fees). The trial court entered judgment in 2017 for $136 million and the case was later settled for a confidential amount.
In addition, we have:
- Defended an operator in putative class actions relating to royalty accounting, marketing arrangements and post-production costs
- Defended an oil company in upstream development case alleging environmental hazards and bodily injury from fracking and transportation of natural gas
- Defended an oil company in case of lease termination alleging failure to develop per TRRC field spacing rules
- Defended a natural gas company in AMI litigation covering several counties in the Fayetteville Shale on claims of failure to assign interests, failure to account and conspiracy
- Defended a producer in a pooled unit accounting case in Alabama
- Defended a natural gas company in contract dispute with processing plant over requirements/capacity contract
- Represented the plaintiff private equity fund in litigation arising from failure to assign lease under contract in Barnett Shale
- Served as interim General Counsel to an operating company.